Thanks for joining us in IYZB’s first ever virtual classroom! We cannot think of a better way for us all to be connected during this time when our practice is of the utmost importance.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY
Any physical activity has the potential for injury or harm. We advise you to use caution and awareness when participating in this program. By choosing to participate in this format, you affirm that you alone are responsible for your participation, and that you agree to irrevocably release and waive any claims that you have now or hereafter may have against Iyengar Yoga Zentrum Berlin. Registering for classes confirms that you understand and agree with this waiver of liability.
What you need:
- A yoga mat or a non-slippery, bare floor will work fine.
- 1-2 blocks or large books, a foot stool, or a low chair will be good substitutions. You can get creative here! Just make sure your support is stable and easy to move around.
- A couple of firm blankets. The purpose of these are to provide a necessary lift from the floor. But anything in your linen closet will work.
- Yoga strap ora tie or belt works great.
- Some wall space. As you know, we Iyengar practitioners like to enhance our practice at the wall.
- A positive and patient attitude. This is our first time going virtual, and we imagine there will be some bumps in the road. We are learning as we go and welcome your feedback!
If you don’t have these props immediately, no worries. You are still welcome to join the class! We are adapting a flexible format to our classes in order to deliver Iyengar yoga to as many possible. In general, our live-stream classes will use minimal props and even incorporate some household furniture, such as your kitchen counter!
Preparing For Class
Please dress appropriately and modestly. Remember that you will be on a video that others can see. Do not wear items that are too loose, nor, black or very dark colors so teacher can see your alignment. Please make sure your attire stands out from your back ground.
Set up your space. Find a quiet space in your home and gather your props. It is ideal if you can set yourself up near a wall.
PLEASE make sure that your device is fully charged before class. We don’t want to lose anyone from a low battery!
You may join on any laptop/desktop computer or smartphone that has a microphone and camera. If you would prefer not to be visible to the others, you may turn your video off. Mute is recommended as it can add background noise.
How to Join a Class
- Download the Zoom app to your device well before you intend to join in a class. This only takes about five minutes. For computers, you can download it here. For phones, you can find the Zoom app in your app store.
- To join the meeting, click on the class link 5-10 minutes before the class starts.
- Follow any pop-up instructions (e.g. allow video/audio).
- You are now in the Zoom class! Upon entering you will be muted. You have the option to un-mute yourself and turn on your video, using the buttons in the bottom left hand corner of your screen, so that the teacher can observe you practicing during the class. (We’d love to see you!)
- Adjust the camera on your device and your room lighting so that you can see yourself well in the box on your screen. This is how your teacher will see you on their screen. If necessary, the teacher will give instructions to adjust your camera before class starts. Of course, you are welcome to join without your video if you are more comfortable that way- you will still be able to see and hear the instructor.
- If you have more questions, check out this tutorial video on how to join a Zoom meeting.
Looking forward to practicing with you!